DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I make a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my Disclaimer.
There are many ways to show love to yourself and one of those ways is to treat yourself to the things that you enjoy. We all have things we want and desire, so allow yourself to be treated by you every once in a while. Treating yourself is a form of self-care and a form of self-love.
Why Should You Treat Yourself?
It is essential to treat yourself because you are worth being taken care of. As women, we often spend so much time catering to the needs of others and put ourselves on the back burner. Oftentimes it is at the detriment of our health.
The world teaches us that treating ourselves is a selfish thing. Taking care of yourself is not selfish, it’s healthy and necessary. Furthermore, treating yourself is a way to show how much you love yourself and that you are worth celebrating as an individual. Finally, it is a way to boost not only your self-esteem but you’re mood.
You may notice that when you are not taking care of yourself you tend to be unhappier and more drained. You may also notice that your health starts to decline when you give so much attention to others but ignore the needs of yourself.
My hope for you is that by treating yourself you will become a happier and healthier woman. I desire for you will see the importance of taking care of yourself and doing the things that you enjoy. My prayer for you is that the love you have for yourself will grow to another level.
How TO Treat Yourself?
We are all unique individuals and there is not just one way to treat yourself. Choose some things that you enjoy doing or maybe something new that you have not experienced before. Then, decide how often you want to treat yourself. Plan something once a month, once a week, or even once a day.
How often you do it is up to you and should never be determined by someone else’s opinion of how to live your life. Remember that you matter, you are important, and you are worth celebrating.
If this is new to you or hard for you what I want you to do, the first thing I want you to do is to make a list of the reasons you are worth celebrating. You are not allowed to write anything negative about yourself.
Next, read through the list and tell yourself that you are worth it. After that, pick out some things that you would like to do for yourself. Then, make a plan and get started today!
Things To Do
Here is a list of some ways for how to treat yourself. This is not a comprehensive list and this is not a required list. Choose the things that you want to do for yourself to celebrate yourself. So, pick some ideas because you want them and not because you think someone else would be okay with them.
- Go to the park: There is just something about being outdoors that is good for the soul. This is also a great low-budget option because you don’t have to pay to get into a park. Go ahead and get on that swing; you are not too old for it and you are not too big for it.
- Learn something new: Is there something you have been interested in learning? Sign up for a class online or in person.
- Take a day to sleep in: Sometimes one of the best ways to treat yourself is to give yourself the sleep that your body needs. Especially if you are feeling burnt out from your job, go ahead and take a mental health day and sleep in.
- Enjoy a hike: Another great way to be outdoors is to go for a hike. In most cities, there is someplace to go hiking. Find a spot that looks fun for you and enjoy the fresh air.
- Have a coffee (or tea) date: This is something you can do by yourself or with a friend. Visit your local coffee shop and get a drink of your choice. This is your time to splurge on yourself. Go ahead and add some extra flavor, get a muffin, or get the next size up.
- Buy a new book: Have you been wanting to add something to your home library? Or maybe you are looking for something new to read. Go ahead and buy that book you have been looking at.
Rather, save a little money by heading to your local library and see if they have a copy available to check out. Find a comfortable place and dig into that book.
- Have a dinner date: What do you want for dinner tonight? Seeing that oftentimes we defer the answer to the person asking the question, go ahead and make a decision this time.
You decide what you want and where you want to go. Don’t think about what anyone else thinks about the restaurant. This is a time to be a little selfish and choose a place that you love.
- Buy flowers for yourself: You do not have to wait for someone to buy flowers for you. Go out and buy the flowers that you love and the ones that you enjoy looking at. There is something about having fresh flowers in the house that puts you in a good mood.
- Enjoy a movie: Most of us enjoy watching movies. You can pick a new movie at the local movie theater or watch one of your favorites at home. If you are going to watch a movie from home, get your favorite snacks and your favorite blanket, put your phone away and enjoy the movie.
- Visit a museum: Museums can be a great place to explore and learn something new. Visit your local Art Museum, History Museum, or whatever your city has to offer.
- Get a manicure/pedicure: Many of us enjoy having someone else take care of our nails for us. Besides, it feels great and our nails look better when they are taken care of.
Maybe you just want a manicure, maybe you just want a pedicure, or maybe you want both. So long as you are doing what makes you happy.
Splurge a Little
- Get a massage: What’s not to love about a massage? It can be so relaxing and a great way to get rid of stress in your body. Make an appointment at your favorite massage salon or check out the massage school in your area.
- Take a shopping trip: Whether you need a new wardrobe or you just want to add something to your closet; enjoy some shopping, whether it is online or at a store.
- Plan a spa day: Go ahead and pamper yourself. Make an appointment at your local spa and treat yourself to every amenity that you desire. Subsequently, if you take care of your body, your body will take care of you.
- Get a hotel room: Sometimes we might need a change of scenery. Book a hotel or Air BnB for the night, or even for the weekend. This time go ahead and get the nice room. This is not the time for a cheap hotel.
- Plan a vacation: Vacations are a great way to get away from all of the noise and all the routines of life. Plan the trip of your dreams (or what your budget allows). Get the escape that you need for as many days as you want.
To conclude, I want you to go ahead and make a plan right now to treat yourself. What are you going to do first?
Share in the comments below one way that you enjoy treating yourself.
If you have any questions or would like additional information, please leave a comment below.